Oklahoma City Granite
Oklahoma City Granite is the destination of choice for people considering changing their kitchen of bathroom countertops. There is nothing more elegant and inspiring for a kitchen than natural granite countertops. Each piece of stone is uniquely created by nature, which gives every granite kitchen or bathroom countertop a different personality.
There are some factors you should consider when choosing Granite for your countertop surfaces. Granite is a natural stone product, and is not manufactured in a factory. Stone is mined, fabricated and installed in kitchens, but these three steps do not change the granite and it’s natural imperfections. Each piece of granite stone can contain things which appear to be imperfections, but are actually part of the stone formation process and can improve the unique look of your Oklahoma City granite countertop.
The beautiful patterns and colors we all love about about granite have been formed over thousands of years by the heating and cooling of the earth combined with pressure changes within rock formations.
Common variances found in Granite countertops
1. Fissures in Granite
– A fissure is a small surface crack that originates from the heat and pressure process the granite experienced during it’s formation. These fissures will not effect the quality or your granite installation or the durability of the countertop. Please be aware that you may or may not notice the fissures during the granite selection process as the lighting in your kitchen may be different from the lighting in our OKC granite showroom. Fissures are natural and the granite retains its core strength, if the fissure is large it can be filled with epoxy and color matched.
2. Formations in Granite
- You may occasionally notice a piece of Quartz or other stone type that it molded into your granite countertop slab. These rocks may not match perfectly to the flow of the stone, but they certainly make your stone an original. These small rocks found their way into the granite while it was heated, and as it cooled, the formation solidified around it. It is possible on occasion to cut around these types of formations, but no fabricator can guarantee a characterless stone. In our experience a little character only enhances the charm of granite in an Oklahoma City home.
Granite countertops are extremely durable and easy to maintain. We offer natural granite at extremely affordable prices.
Things to know before you buy OKC granite:
1) Granite Maintenance – Since granite is a natural stone, it does have some porosity. All of our Oklahoma City granite countertops are sealed prior to installation. However, sealing does not guarantee that a stain will not happen. Sealing does not fill in all of the imperfections within the surface. Granite stains are extremely rare. Granite stains usually occur when a liquid, such as wine, olive oil or juice, is spilled onto the counter and the spill is not addressed for several hours. The longer a liquid sits on the surface of the counter, the higher the likelihood a stain could seep through the granite countertop.
2) Sink Mounting – Most sinks are under-mounted to the bottom of the granite countertops. Some companies use bondo and glue the sinks to the bottom of the granite. The preferred method is to use a metal sink setter which bolts to the inside of the kitchen cabinets. This sink setter holds the sink in place which keeps it from collapsing if overloaded with pots and pans and is our preffered method when installing Oklahoma City granite.
3) Granite Variance – Since granite is a natural stone product, there are variances in the color, pattern and veining of the stone. These variances can be found from one piece to another, and most certainly from shipment to shipment purchased from our Oklahoma City granite inventory.
4) Selecting your granite color — Granite shopping can be a little overwhelming with all the different variations. To help you easily find the granite you want for your kitchen or bathroom countertop we recommend thinking about granite in four categories: light and dark colors, print or veining patterns, all of which we have available at our OKC granite showroom.
5) Granite Thickness – Granite is typically sold in 2cm and 3cm.
6) Granite is Safe – Granite is a natural stone, which emits extremely low gas fumes and does not cause any harmful diseases. There were reports generated in 2008 stating that granite emitted radon gas. In the actuality the origin of the report was generated by the manufacturer of a man-made countertop product as a scare-tactic to drive consumers to their product. There are many independent studies posted on the internet which substantiate the truth about radon gas.
Your Oklahoma City Granite Source
You can afford to buy Granite in Oklahoma City. We use a unique production method which reduces your job cost by between 10% and 40%, depending on your granite color selection. We have approximately 75% of the fabrication completed overseas before stocking the granite at our Oklahoma stores. This process leverages low cost manufacturing overseas and we pass the savings along to you!
What you receive as the client is the same high quality Oklahoma City granite but at discounted prices and faster installation times than traditional fabrication methods.